Simply LCD USB connect based on FTDI chip

Discussion about LCD's and other related hardware

Moderators: mattcro, limbo, _X7JAY7X_, caesar, IFR, Fast351

Buy LCD Smartie hardware and support our project. Please go to our Indiegogo page to find out more

Re: Simply LCD USB connect based on FTDI chip

Postby dperrow » February 12th, 2017, 11:34 pm

Not dead mate, just not too active at the moment.

Anyway, I think the scrolling is done in the hardware. You could try one of the plugins that does the scroll in software although it might not be as smooth. E.g. Holdnscroll.
dperrow
Power User

Postby dperrow » February 12th, 2017, 11:40 pm

Search for scroll from the board index
dperrow
Power User

Postby lucas_siglo21 » February 12th, 2017, 11:52 pm

Guest wrote:not sure i'll get an answer since this forum appears to be dead, but i'll ask anyway:

i have a HD44780 (white text, blue backlight) with FTD232RL. works perfectly with this dll, but when text is scrolling its a bit difficult to see the text as it goes from white to slightly darker color (almost like inverse color). when the text is not scrolling it is perfectly clear. anyway to solve this so the test remain solid white while scrolling?

thanks.

i'm pretty sure you need to decrease the contrast changing the voltage to pin 3(turn the contrast pot)
lucas_siglo21

Postby lucas_siglo21 » February 13th, 2017, 12:01 am

BTW when i upgraded to win 8.1 this FTDI solution stopped working correctly, random chars were appearing at random times, like once every 5-10 seconds..no idea why, and this only happened on my main computer, i connected my LCD thing to my laptop with the same software and libraries which is also running win8.1 and it worked ok, go figure..

so now i'm using an arduino to emulate the matrix orbital protocol via the arduino serial/USB port and drive the LCD..nowadays the prices of the arduinos are crazy low with all the chinese clones.
lucas_siglo21

Postby dperrow » February 13th, 2017, 9:42 am

I had no way to connect a parallel LCD to a new motherboard and windows 10 so did the same thing and put in an Arduino to emulate. It's been there so long I can't remember whether it was an UNO or something else but it's been a few years on the go now with no problems.
dperrow
Power User

Previous

Return to Hardware Discussion